As you begin the traditional yearly hunt for your Christmas tree, we’re hoping safety is part of your plan. Christmas trees are involved in 250 home fires annually along with 170 fires involving lighting and decorations, according to estimates from the National Fire Protection Association and the U.S. Fire Administration.
Your Palm Coast insurance agency wants your holidays to be bright, but not by fire. Please follow these tips from the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- Artificial trees can be found with fire resistant treatment. Look for a tag or information on the box about the protection.
- Make sure the tree you buy is fresh, because it will stay green longer and create less of a fire hazard. To check for freshness, remember: Fresh trees are green, not brown. Needles won’t come off easy. Fresh needles won’t break when you bend them. The bottom of the trunk will be sticky with resin. If a lot of needles fall off a tree when you bump it, it’s too dry.
- Don’t put your tree near a fireplace, radiator or other heating device. The heat will dry the tree out and create a fire.
- Before putting the tree in the stand, cut a couple of inches off the trunk so it will absorb water better.
- Make sure the tree fits snugly in the base with no limbs dragging on the floor.
- Keep the stand filled with water.
- Don’t block foot traffic with the tree, or doorways. Use guy wires from the ceiling or walls to secure a large tree.
Take a tip from the Griswolds and have a fire extinguisher handy. You never know when the dog is going to drink all the tree water and a crazy old guy is going to stick his cigar to the tree.
Your Palm Coast insurance agency hopes you find a great tree that adds to a fond holiday memory.
The O’Quinn Agency can help provide insurance for your auto, boat, home, motorcycle and life whether you live in Palm Coast or anywhere else in East Central Florida.